Choice is your super power. Through choice, you can live a life of love, gratitude, joy and fulfilment.
You can choose to allow any situation to define, defeat or strengthen you.
You can decide to see each day as a gift, a never-to-be repeated opportunity for new insights and adventure.
Instead of focusing on what you might get out of a situation or experience, try asking what you can contribute and what difference you can make each day. Through contribution, you open the door to infinite possibility – And possibility is the path to realising your hopes and dreams.
Elderly people with decades of learned wisdom have given us the following call to action:*
- Choose to be bold and courageous. Even if you’re not, pretend to be. No one can tell the difference.
- Choose to make peace with your past.You are not responsible for all the things that happen to you, but you are absolutely responsible for your reactions to them.
- Choose to forgive everyone everything.
- Choose to live a life of no regrets.
- Choose to go out in to the world each day believing that miracles are happening everywhere
- Always accept an outstretched hand.
- Choose to perform anonymous acts of kindness whenever possible.
- Choose to take charge of your attitude – Don’t let someone else choose it for you.
- Choose to believe that what other people think of you is none of your business.
- Choose to be grateful for every breath, every minute, every experience.
- In every challenging situation, choose to take action – no matter how small -regardless of doubt or fear.
- Choose your relationships carefully – Look for abiding friendship, shared values, strong communication, a willingness to give and receive.
And most importantly, choose to conquer fear for fear is the nemesis of choice, leading to indecision and inaction. If you choose to reframe fear as excitement, you can embrace your apprehension as an opportunity for change and growth.
Once you decide that a situation is not going to define or defeat you, but to strengthen and drive you forward – then the next step is to take action.
If you’re unsure how to move forward, simply go out into the world and show up; be present; look for new endeavours.
Here are some ideas for leaning in:
*Search for charities or causes in your community that would welcome your contribution
*Look for community groups that might offer friendship and joy e.g. walking groups, volunteer helpers, community gardening groups, animal rescue organisations
*Go to a local museum or library or exhibition
*Meet a friend or friends at a park, a café or a restaurant
*Read a book, listen to an audiobook; watch a motivational TED talk, a YouTube video or watch an uplifting movie
*Find a form of movement or exercise that you love and that loves you
*Look for an activity that fills you with a sense of adventure and excitement – What experiences have filled you with exhilaration previously? What have you always wanted to try? What courses and experiences are on offer in your local community?
*Attend a market or a festival
*Seek out music – whether it be by looking for buskers in the park, mall or city streets; concerts; musical productions; bands and other events. Or simply turn up your own music at home, sing, dance!
*Look online for the things that light you up – Search for articles, images, videos and forums. Search for employment and volunteer opportunities.
Remember that you are unique. You are a gift. Your life is your message and you have an amazing
story to tell…….. Choose to believe in your story and it will reward you with the life you’ve always